Monday, May 16, 2011

West Cost: Mullin's Beach

The next day, we headed north up to the west coast.  Another opportunity to get lost, which we did, but much less so.

We ate at Indian Grill, a place I had read about before the trip.  Roti are very popular in Barbados and during our trying not to get lost, I noticed the sign and made Alex pull over.  It was really good.  Alex had the chickpea in roti, and I had the roasted lamb curry, bone and all, with rice and dhal.  We each had a Banks to prepare for what could be a trying drive.

We went to Mullin's Beach because it had an image of a camera next to it on our map (similarly helpful images were of texacos, KFCs, palm trees and the infamous roundabout, which was the bane of my existence).  Mostly we went there because it was Alex's turn to do something he wanted to do.  JETSKI!!!



All I'd heard about was how he was going to have the BTE jet skiing.  Just as an aside, I also love jet skiing and thought I had the potential to be a professional for one sweet day as a college freshman (is there such a thing?, I was hoping so) until my tragic accident (not tragic - just a big bruise) where I regained a reasonable amount of fear for an instrument that hurls you at high speeds through water.  Before that I had been going at top speed and turning as fast as I could so I would go flying off the jet ski.  Many many laughs, until crying.

Anyway, Mullin's Beach.  It was across from the something rather Royal Club.  Fancy.
Here the persistent vendors were really trying to take us.
My coconut at Accra had been $2 US, while here he was trying to get me to pay $10!   This was after he'd already cut it open and said money was not everything while swigging his rum and drooling all over Alex's towel.  Nice.  We got 2 for the $10, and I guess that was a deal.

Jet skiing was fun.  Alex went for a while first, then I joined him.  When we did this in Mexico it was practically the same scenario.  I drove while we were together and went as fast as possible while screaming woooooooooooo the whole time.  So fun.  So sore the next day.

Something funny that happened while jet skiing, apart from the non stop screaming and laughing, was when I noticed a strange conglomeration of 3 large floating items in the distance:  one was triangle shaped.  I asked Alex if it was a research station (my exact words), thinking it could be an area where they collect data about the current or maybe other statistics of importance.  He informed me that two of them were banana boats and the other a similar type of drag behind a boat floatation device.  Good times.

Since this blog is mostly so we can remember our fun trip, I don't want to dwell on any bad, but the jet skii dudes tried to rip us off too.  Oh well.  They didn't manage to, but they did ruin my relaxing snorkeling experience when Alex came to find me on the jet skii yelling "go back to our stuff, I think they might be trying to steal it!!!".  I am a fast swimmer with fins on.  Fast fast.

Mullins was pretty.  Yellow sand and calm waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment